December 5, 2007

Comment from a Reader dated 6th December 2007


The following email came from a Reader of the book "Exposing Chinese Ancestor Worship"




Dear Ps. Steven,

Good day. I recently bought a book written by you – “Exposing Chinese Ancestor Worship”. I was a Buddhist for the past 25 years, my family practices ancestor worshipping since I was a kid. But in the recent years, I got to know about Christianity and the whole process had drawn me closer to Jesus Christ Our Lord. I got baptized 2 weeks ago at St. Mary Cathedral KL, and I really thank God for His wonderful blessing for now I am officially “reborn” again as His child. The journey of knowing about Lord God has been really astonishing, it happened when I joined “Alpha Course” at St Paul church at PJ.

Thank you for such a wonderful book you have written, “Exposing Chinese Ancestor Worship” - that made clear a lot of statements which had been bothering me, it really helps… especially for those who used to be a Buddhist transforming to be a Christian. There are like ten thousand questions in your mind, now that you are Christian, so what are the changes you need to amend which is against Words of God? As for me, I had been practicing as a Buddhist for so many years, not to mention that I used to be really committed as well. Working as a volunteer, staying at the temple, went for “temporarily nun camp”, baptized as pure Buddhist. My parents are Buddhist / Taoist. So I am somehow a mixture of both, but I am closer to Buddhism.

What you have written in your book, all the chapters, it touched my heart, I totally agreed, well, said but true. I tried to share your book with my mum who is a Buddhist, (though I am the only converted Christian in the family so far, but I am glad because my family are pretty open-minded and quite supportive) until she threw me a question which I don’t know how to answer.

Question: If Christians do not require to carry a “protection-charm” what will happen when the evil haunts/possesses them? Besides praying, what can a Christian do to prevent the attack of the evil spirit? How to be cured when possession happened?

Because for Chinese Buddhist/Taoist, the only way to get rid of evil spirit is to look for a temple medium or a “witch-doctor”… since I am a 100% Christian now, to me all these methods seems to be a bit too evil and definitely against the words of God… therefore in that situation, what should we do? Besides going to church, continue praying to Lord, but if the evil spirit still does not leaving…..??

I don’t know if I sounded stupid, but I need to convince myself and especially my mum. Please advice.

Thank you very much. May God and His Peace be with you.

From: "Name withheld"


My answer: Please see my comments. Tq


1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    I am glad that the book has been a continuous blessing to you. There have also been many others who have written about how they were “enlightened” by the Word of God as found in the book concerning the practices of ancestor worship. So, do not despair or feel alone in this issue, because many other Chinese particularly Christians are struggling in this area and the way to be free of those doubts is to know the Word. Daniel in the Bible says, “they that know their God shall do great exploits…”

    Concerning your questions, I will try my best to answer them.

    The idea of carrying a “protection charm” is because there is a hidden fear in humans thinking that either (a) we are weaker than the spirits, so we need another spirit/charm to be stronger than them; or (b) we are not sure of the unseen realm or forces so it is an added security to guard against unwelcomed intruding spirits when we keep something like a protection charm.

    The wonderful experience of becoming a Christian is that you do not need anymore of these exterior protection or charms in your life because you have the Lord Jesus Christ living in you. Jesus lives in you by the Spirit of God that dwells and takes residence in your life. And the Bible says, “The Spirit of God who lives in us is stronger than he (even Satan himself) who is in the world!” … 1 John 4:4

    However, when you become a Christian it does not mean that the evil spirits will not haunt you. If they do haunt you, you have the authority and the power of Jesus in you, and you can cast them out. This is the heritage of Every Believer like you and me (Mark 16:16-17). They may haunt you, or disturb you, or oppress you, it doesn’t matter, because each time you call on the name of Jesus and command them to go, they have to leave you. James 4:7 says, “Submit yourselves to God, Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.” Wow, what a wonderful promise from the Almighty God.

    The evil spirits cannot possess you because you possess the Spirit of God living in you. God does not live together with evil spirits in your life. Note: a Christian who does not walk with God or has a hidden “open door” – such as secret ties with the evil spirits, may invite these spirits to oppress or even to possess them.

    So, have more of God. Fill yourself with the knowledge of God. Praise and worship Him often, because God dwells in the praises and worship of His people. Put the Word in your heart and mind. You will begin to live a stronger and a victorious life if you do that.

    ReplyDelete